Sunday, June 18, 2006

Take That at 3am

Yesterday was not a good day. As usual, I didn't get enough sleep. Still, I got up, got ready, and went to the gala day that my band were playing at. It was good. I got sunburnt.

Where it went wrong was after the gala day, when the band had a barbeque, to which I was invited. I went, but because I had my car, I couldn't drink. Then, I found that the only soft drinks were Diet, which as we all know really means "not as nice, potentially carcinogenic, and definately depressing..."

But the big problem came a bit later, when it became apparent that everyone in the band knows each other from way back, they don't know me, and we don't really have that much in common (true of about 99% of the population, of course). After a bunch of conversations about bands I'd been in in the past, I snuck off.

There then followed a fairly depressing evening of watching TV. I went to bed early, once it became apparent that only was there nothing good on, but that there never would be again.

It was a good thing that I did.

About 3am, I was woken up by music from downstairs. My neighbours are a couple and their daughter. The parents are currently away; the girl had gotten home with some friends - a girl and two guys.

Anyway, there then proceeded more than an hour of loud music, mostly consisting of Take That's Greatest Hits. Which brought home to me three things: 1) Take That aren't improved by being heard through a floor. 2) Take That still suck, but are now better than virtually everything that's in the charts. 3) Having "Relight My Fire" stuck in your head isn't much fun.

About 3:45, one of the guys joked that this was their "3am wake-up call". I'm a little annoyed about that. (Funnily enough, I just accidentally hit CAPS LOCK just before I hit the 'A' there...)

Anyway, the music went off at 4:15ish, whereupon I went back to bed... but no joy getting to sleep. At this point, I went for a walk.

Sadly, once the sun is up in the morning, and once I've woken up, there's no getting back to sleep. Hopefully, I'll be able to just zone out after 24 tonight. Hence, surfing the net, watching bad TV, reading a bit, and so forth.

Still, it is a Sunday morning, and I'm not that old. Perhaps I'll just ask them to play better music next time. Any recommendations for good music to be rudely awakened to?

No comments: