Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Recent TV

With the move of Lost from Channel 4 to Sky, I now find that I have no reason whatsoever to watch Channel 4. This is a shame, because a couple of years ago I did pretty much all my TV viewing on that channel.

In fact, this development now means that I only watch programmes on the BBC and Sky.

Speaking of the BBC, I've been watching the new "Robin Hood" every Saturday since it began. The first episode was simply awful - it made the Kevin Costner movie look like a masterpiece. Fortunately, though, each episode since then has been a huge improvement over the one before, such that Saturday's episode, if rather cliched, was actually good (as opposed to merely 'watchable'). At this rate, and given the rate at which it's shedding viewers, the series finale will be the greatest show ever, and only I will actually watch it.

I have also been watching "Torchwood", a show I had been looking forward to since I heard about it. Well, the first episode was okay, but suffered from the need to introduce everything (hint: no, you don't. Introduce the characters and the premise in your promotional trailers, and start the show in media res. Trust me - I know nothing about making successful TV shows :) ). The second episode was everything that I feared the show would be - the plot featured a 'sex alien' and involved all the usual nonsense. Basically, it was the show that a couple of teenagers would produce to show just how adult they were.

Burnt by the second episode, I considered dropping the show then. However, I watched one more episode, just to be sure, and found that it too had improved greatly. So, that's back on my must-watch list.

On Sky, there aren't too many shows I'm actually watching for the moment. 24 starts in January, Battlestar Galactica likewise, and Lost hasn't started yet (should be in November, though, which might be good - though the second series was rather pants tbh).

I have been watching "The Unit" (on Bravo), which has not been what I expected. However, I'm rather enjoying it, even if they are showing the episodes out of order.

1 comment:

Kezzie said...

Hi! Comment from random blogger, but you have provided me with much useful information! Oh NO! I can't believe that Sky have snaffled Lost! What am I to do! Must say, you 'fears' about Torchwood match my own, I have been unsure of whether to watch it as I might be as you say (I like Doctor Who because of its sort of innocence). Haven't done so far but we videoed it. On your advice, might just watch the Second episode and skip the first!