Friday, December 22, 2006

Milestones to Christmas

On the first of November, with Halloween over, the shops collectively decide that it's now time for Christmas. The decorations go up, the shopping centre soundtracks become festive, and the adverts tell us that it's time to urgently do our Christmas shopping now, now, NOW! But I don't consider that the start of Christmas.

On the first of December, I start my Christmas shopping. Over the next couple of weeks, I will identify presents for all the people who need presents, and order these. In general, my shopping is done online - I don't have time for lots of wandering round shops looking for presents for people. But I don't consider that the start of Christmas.

On the first Sunday of December (or shortly thereafter), I put up my Christmas decoration. But I don't consider that the start of Christmas.

Some time during the last week before Christmas, I wrap the presents for everyone. But, still, I don't consider that the start of Christmas.

No, Christmas officially starts for me at the moment when I stop work for the year. And that time is now! Huzzah!

Have a good time, all.

1 comment:

Chris M said...

Happy Christmas!