Saturday, December 30, 2006

Sometimes, it just isn't your day

Having almost run out of disposable contact lenses, I phoned my optician on Thursday to order some new ones. This morning, they phoned me to say they were now in, and I could collect them. I thanked them, and hung up, carefully neglecting to ask when they were closing today.

A bit later this afternoon, it occurred to me that I should probably pick up my lenses, in case they closed early. Still, I was busy reading, and had just a few pages to go, so decided to wait and finish, since a few minutes either way wouldn't really matter.

I got to the optician's at 3 minutes past 3, to find the place darkened and locked, with a notice on the door that they were closing at 3, and would reopen at 9am some day next week (probably Wednesday, but I neglected to memorise that - and it doesn't particularly matter anyway).

I did, however, spy a couple of people still inside, including the receptionist. So, I knocked, on the grounds that the worst they could do was say "go away, we're closed." They did not do so, but instead let me in to collect my lenses. I was duly thankful.

On returning to the car, I checked the boxes, only to discover that the strengths on the lenses are different for each eye, and that in both cases they are stronger than the actual value I wear in both eyes. So, on Wednesday, I'm going to have to go back, and return the lenses.

Sometimes, it just isn't your day.

No comments: