Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Not entirely resolved...

A bunch of years ago, my New Year's Resolution was to stop making resolutions I wouldn't keep. Said resolution has therefore stood the test of time, such that I don't make New Year's Resolutions (also, since time is arbitrary, I don't see any special significance in making resolutions on Jan 1st anyway, but that's another post). This is a good thing, because if I did make resolutions, the one I would have made would have been shattered rather spectacularly yesterday.

(What would it have been, you ask? I would have resolved to stop swearing (except when in character). Now, this might surprise you, since a great many of the people I know have never heard me swear. However, that doesn't mean I don't - it's just one of the things I do when I'm alone that I don't generally do in company. Most often, it's because the PC or all the other drivers they allow on the road have annoyed me. Anyway, I'm kinda of the opinion that I should stop, but I'm also inclined to think that it's a good idea to have one recognised vice to work on, so I don't know.)

However, although I'm making no resolutions, I do have certain aspirations, usually ones I have been contemplating for a while, and perhaps might even have taken steps over. Or not. Note that these are not goals - a proper goal needs a specific target, some sort of accountability, and a deadline. (It's the whole SMART goals thing - Specific, Measurable, Agreed, Realistic, Time-bound. Without at least four of the five, you'll never actually get anything done.)

So, anyway, aspirations:

- To lose weight. Allegedly, according to the Body-Mass Index thingy, the upper limit of 'okay' weight for my height is 13 stone and 2 pounds. I'm a good bit over that. However, I generally scorn these BMI numbers as wishful thinking - I don't recall meeting many people who can even be close to the figures, especially since muscle weighs more than fat, and to get near that sort of weight would require some serious workout. Plus, my diet is now about right (too many fizzy drinks, though), and my weight seems to be stable, so... Still, losing a bit wouldn't be a bad thing.

How that would be achieved without going on a diet (to which I'm opposed on principle), I don't really know.

- To cease being single. This goal also has significant problems. The first is the inherent difficulty in meeting someone without going to places where people congregate, as discussed in a previous post. The second is that I abandonned hope in November, and that rather negates any attempt. But I never promised my thought processes would actually make sense.

- To be generally better. Better at work, better at my band, a better friend, a better person. Just generally better.

- To continue being practically perfect in every way. Yes, I am in fact Mary Poppins.

And that's about it. One aspiration I have no intention of actually pursuing, one I fully believe is hopeless, one that is probably worthwhile but is too nebulous to be any real use, and one that's nonsensical. Frankly, I think that's a really good set.

1 comment:

Kezzie said...

Thank you for the ideas Stephen! Chittychitty bangbang and the such like are exactly the type of things that I like and would make me feel cheery! I think I may just do that on Saturday, after day 1 at school!