Friday, March 30, 2007

My Marvellous Monde Musicale

Some time ago, my friend Graham and I were talking about how wonderful it would be to live in a muscial world - a world where the common man would spontaneously burst into song about the mundane events of his life. For example, in the morning a person might be moved to sing:

I'm drive-ing, driving to work!
Other drivers conspire, in my blind spot to lurk.
It gravely concerns me, for I cannot see them,
when I'm drive-ing, driving to work!

(Catchy, isn't it? The air guitar solo is a bit worrisome, though.)

Anyway, we both agreed that this would be a fine thing. However, I did worry that there might be some resistance. After all, given the quality of so many of our professionals, how bad must the common man be by comparison?

However, there is a solution. Clearly, attempting to convert the whole world in one go, it makes far more sense instead to convert only a small part of the world, thus creating, for example, a Town of Music. Thereafter, we could gradually expand the borders, gradually annexing outlying regions. You know, one aria at a time.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I was loving it until the last line... However, I would like to offer my services to this cause (free of charge!), having had it pointed out to me only last weekend that I sing all the time without realising... Worrying.

Julietbec said...

Sounds fun, when shall we start. I reckon we go for the whole world. I will try to convert Spain!

Chris said...

Oh, I'm writing, writing a comment,
The words come flooding in a torrent!
Surely I'm not the only one?
Who thinks Stephen should be shot for that pun?

I like it.