Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Sporting crisis

When it comes to sport, and England, I adopt a strict policy of 'I don't really care'. I take the view that the English team are on the field of play to represent England, and being as I am not English, therefore, they are very little to do with me. Win, lose or draw, it's all the same to me... mostly.

(Rant about the English media deleted. It would probably upset some people, and is entirely tangential to the subject at hand.)

Except cricket. Cricket is the one sport where I actually do support the English team, for two reasons. The first of these is personal, and has to do with my relationship with my father, and will not be elaborated on further in this post. The second reason is that, to all intents and purposes, there is no Scottish cricket team, largely because a test match takes five days, and the Scottish weather therefore makes just finishing a match cause for celebration. (Naturally, real cricket is test match cricket. But that's another rant for another day... and probably one I won't even bother with.)

Which brings us to the Cricket World Cup... in which Scotland are due to be roundly thrashed by Australia today. And let's make no mistake - we are going to be roundly thrashed. (Not that there's any shame in that. "Oh, no! We lost to the best team in the world!")

Which leaves me is something of a quandary. See, if Scotland actually are in the tournament, then I really have to support them. Dulce et decorum est, and all that. Yet, I can't really support two teams, because that just makes me a dirty two-timing cheat.

What to do, what to do?

No comments: