Sunday, June 24, 2007

Searching for My Daily Bread

I got to the hotel at eight in the evening. I noted a big sign on the side of the hotel reading "Pizzeria", and decided that that would be ideal. I proceeded to check-in, noted the really cute receptionist, went to my room, dropped my bags, splashed cold water on tired eyes, and headed down for my dinner, taking only my room key, passport, wallet, and book.

I proceeded down to the lobby, and looked around for the entrance to the restaurant. The receptionist noted this, and asked if I was looking for the restaurant. "Oui," I replied, deploying my mastery of French to its fullest effect.

"Pas de restaurant," she said, and then explained that there was one down the street a ways that I could use. So, off I went, book in hand.

Well, I took a look at the recommended place, and decided that I didn't really like the look of it (and was uninspired by the menu). Still, no matter, there would surely be others.

And it's true, there were. I found a small "Centre Commercial" with not one, not two, but three restaurants, being a Thai takeaway, a pizzeria, and a French restaurant. Closed at eight, closed at eight, closed at eight! Great!

So, I wandered some more, but there was no sign of anywhere suitable. So, I went back to the first place, getting there about quarter to nine, only to find it had since closed.

About this time, I considered breaking into the pet store and barbequeing the goldfish. However, faint with hunger, I doubted I would be able to overpower them, so decided against.

Well, I had seen a sign for a McDonalds while being driven here, so it must be about here somewhere. They'll be open, surely?

So, I went in search of the golden arches, but saw no sign. At length, I gave up. More tired than I was hungry, I turned back for the hotel.

It was en-route for this final destination, I heard a scooter motor behind me, followed by a screech and the blaring of a car horn as our hapless driver was almost sideswiped by a car. I turned to observe this madness, and noted that the scooter was emblazoned with the number of a pizza delivery firm. Sadly, my phone has no camera on it, and was in any case back in my room, so I didn't catch the number. I decided this was God having a good laugh at my expense, launching one final joke in my direction.

But no! For not ten seconds later, I was passed again, in the other direction this time, by another scooter, from another pizza delivery company. And my phone still didn't have a camera, and was still painfully out of reach.

I staggered back to the room, where I took note of the complimentary boiled sweets in the room. Salvation! But, there were but four, and I was there for four nights, so I thought it best to pace myself.

And so, between an early lunch in the airport and breakfast the next morning, my entire sustenance was a single boiled sweet. Green flavour.

1 comment:

Captain Ric said...

I almost just had Irn Bru based, nose explodey action.