Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Experimental Cookery Breakfast #2: Get Into Porridge

So, it turned out that "I don't know when" became "tomorrow". I found that I just couldn't bear to face yet another bowl of Shredded Wheat in yet another freezing kitchen before dawn. And so, this morning found me preparing porridge (or as we spell it in Scotland, porage. Don't ask me why).

Curiously, in thirty two years of living in Scotland (or even eight months in England) I somehow had never tried porridge before. There was something about it that never really enticed me. But, on a cold December morning in a flat with heating that doesn't quite seem to work, the notion of a hot breakfast certainly seemed appealing. And especially that lovely orange outline that comes from it.

It turns out that the orange outline only comes with ReadyBrek, which I wasn't having. Oh well.

Still, it was a success. I had banana and cinnamon porridge today. I will be having it tomorrow also (as I have half a banana that needs eaten up). However, it's a bit of a hassle having a pan to wash up, so probably not something for every day. I'll grudgingly give Jamie the win on this one, despite that hassle, which puts him at 2-0 for the chapter (out of a possibly 12).

Next up is some sort of pancake and mango effort. Once again, I don't know what that might be, as Saturday will once again be the full Scottish, and the weekend after that is out due to The Reason.

No comments: