Thursday, February 12, 2009

It's Soooo Cold!

I received my gas bill yesterday, thankfully the last at my current apartment. And, once again, it was absurdly high. And yet, the meter readings they had estimated were not outlandishly wrong - the heating of the apartment had simply consumed a lot of gas.

Except, when I say 'heating' I probably exaggerate the situation somewhat. Quite a lot actually. Because even with my having reprogrammed the boiler so that they heating is actually switched on when I need it, and even with the heating turned up almost to full, and with running electric space heaters as well at key times (on a timer circuit that for some reason insists on making an infernal high-speed ticking sound all through the night) the apartment is still freezing.

On the plus side, the estimate I have had for providing gas and electric for my new apartment is consequently several hundred pounds a year cheaper, desite the new apartment being significantly bigger. In fact, I believe the estimated cost for both utilities in the new apartment is actually considerably lower than gas alone has been costing in the current place.

I think it's fair to say that there is something wrong with the heating in my current apartment. And it's certainly yet another really good reason to look forward to the move. (Although, I didn't really think 'being warm' should have been one of the selling points!)

1 comment:

M said...

I had the same problem last year when I moved into my house, the bills were horrendous, but we did have a particularly cold winter. This year it is a little better.