Monday, March 09, 2009

A weekend to forget

It started brightly enough. I finished the document I was working on, sent it out to the people who needed it, and left work. An exceptionally quick journey and I was home just after four.

On arriving home, I immediately put the first load of washing on (why wait?), then started making phone calls. These included some of the few remaining change-of-address calls, which are now all in hand. Unfortunately, time ran out before I was able to handle the "finding a new doctor" task, but that's not currently urgent (just annoying).

And then the calls to various service providers. First on my list is BT. Now, I had thought their task should be easy. When I moved in, the phone line was already connected, so all they should have had to do was renumber the line, no?

Apparently, no. Instead, they felt the need to first cancel the existing line. Then, they enabled a new line to the same address. (Why?) Of course, they did both of these at the same time, since they didn't want me to have any actual loss of service. And then, there was the renumbering of the new line to my old number. Which still isn't done, but which might be done by Wednesday, although I am skeptical.

Anyway, whatever the trials and tribulations that this all entails, I'm annoyed about two things. The first is their insistence on using an automated switchboard to "route my call to the right person". This isn't entirely unreasonable, except that the number of menu steps has gradually increased to an absurd depth, systems now mostly include several 'security' steps (that the eventual operator then repeats anyway), and at the end of the process you tend to get through to the wrong person anyway!

Also, it really shouldn't take two and a half weeks to reassign a number from one address to another. I don't care what lines they wish to spin, it's not that complex a job.

Still, that's all in hand. I'm sure they'll sort it out. Eventually.

Next in the firing line is Virgin, who still haven't sorted out my broadband connection. Now, in fairness, part of this is BT's fault, since connecting broadband on the line isn't going to be easy when BT are monkeying around with the line. Still, the absence of broadband is a major annoyance.

Anyway, having now determined exactly what was happening with broadband, I decided to call Virgin to get a status update. The only problem: I didn't have their number to hand. Not to worry though, since I had their confirmation email. Surely that would have a number at which to contact them?

Turns out it doesn't, but it did have a handy link to a webpage where I could fill in a nice form. Or an email address at which I could contact them. In order to ask why my internet connection wasn't working. Muppets.

So, I consulted that most archaic of tomes, the phone book, and got their number - and with no guys in moustaches helping me, either! One arcane and complex automated switchboard later, and I was through to a guy in their internet division.

Or so I thought, because it turns out they have two internet divisions, and I was through to the wrong one. Of course.

Anyway, he put me through to the right guy, who informed me that my installation date had been changed from the 26th of Feb to the 10th of March. Which explains why my internet wasn't working, although does leave the key question: why was I not informed?

The most annoying thing in all this, though, is not the delay itself, but rather the missed opportunity. I got broadband from Virgin initially because I was looking for a deal with no annual contract. Once there, though, I found the service to be faultless. Therefore, despite their being much cheaper options out there (notably Sky), I decided to stick with them. And now they have utterly messed up the service part.

So, on hanging up, I reflected that I should really have gone with Sky. Except...

The rest of Friday night passed without incident. Of any sort. Thrilling, it was. I did complete the washing, but other than that, nothing. Still, I went to bed secure in the knowledge that the Sky Guy was coming on Saturday to hook up the system. And now that I had loft access, it should all be completed as planned.

Oh, such foolish optimism!

Saturday morning rolled around, and the Sky Guy duly arrived. And he wandered around, weighed things up, and declared that he didn't think he could do it, as his ladders were too short. At this point I asked if he didn't want to at least look at the loft access, which had after all been the excuse last time. So, up he went.

And when he came down there was good news and bad news. The good news was that he could see exactly how the job should be done, and that it would be pretty easy. The bad news: the job required a dry roof, and was simply not something they would even attempt in the wet.

The worse news: Sky don't do flexible appointments. So, I can't request an appointment for "the first dry day", but rather have to fix an appointment, and if it's not dry then I have to rebook another fixed appointment. With an average delay of 9 days between each such appointment. (Fortunately, it hardly ever rains in Scotland, so I'm sure it'll all get done next time.)

I phoned to complain about this, of course. And was met with an automated switchboard that very neatly lacks any sort of 'customer complaints' option.

(Later, I did wonder at the "our ladders are too short" comment, and wondered if they had sent out the wrong team for the job. So, I called today to confirm that it was the required Special Heights Team that would be coming next time. But, yes, it turns out that that was and is the case. Which raises the next question: what is the point of a Special Heights Team if they are equipped with ladders that are insufficient for them to actually do any work at special heights?)

Anyway, I swallowed my lingering annoyance with Virgin at this point, and investigated their digital TV offering. Perhaps that would be a better option? Sadly, this was not the case, as although they have dozens of channels, they are mostly notable for lacking all the movies and sports channels. Effectively, it would mean dropping about half of the channels that I actually watch. That being the case, if Sky prove to be unable to install the system at the next time of asking, I think I'll just drop all the way back to Freeview.

Anyway, the very best thing about all this was that, in order to be in to meet the Sky Guy, I had of course had to cancel all my plans for Saturday. And so, by lunchtime I found myself at a loose end, and without either broadband or TV to assist in the wasting of time.

So, I headed over to my parents' to use their broadband to investigate Virgin's digital TV, independent satellite dish installers, and dining furniture stockists, and also to update my antivirus software (not strictly necessary, but I like to be up-to-date). In the event, I found myself watching "Mighty Mouse" with my nephew. It hasn't much changed since young Captain Ric was that same age.

There's more, but I'm not going to blog about that. Suffice to say, I found Sunday evening particularly wearing as well. Suffice to say, I was really glad when Monday morning finally arrived.

#11: "Starships of the Galaxy" by Gary Astleford, Owen K.C. Stephens and Rodney Thompson
#12: "Pathfinder: Descent into Midnight" by Brian Cortijo

1 comment:

Captain Ric said...

Mighty mouse??!! Excellent!!