Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Experimental Cookery Tuesday #32: Dressed Green Salad

I hadn't eaten a real chip in seven months. (Obviously, neither oven chips nor French fries count.) There had been the promise of chips, but then the terrible let down as that was cancelled. No chips for Steph/ven.

You would be forgiven for wondering what this has to do with green salad, dominated by lettuce as it is. Well, as I noted in my previous post in the series, the salad itself was never intended to be a meal in its own right, but instead would serve as an accompaniment to some other meal. And so it was that the selected meal was burgers and chips. (I've had plenty of burgers in the last seven months - including the occasional foray into both McDonalds and Burger King. One of these days, I might post on my recent experiences with fast food.)

So, anyway, I had chips. Made with a real potato, in a real deep frier. They were excellent.

As for the green salad itself - it was good. I ended up just using a bag of salad, on the grounds that I didn't want to waste large amounts of fresh lettuce of various sorts. The book provided four simple dressings, all of which I intend to try over the next few weeks, but this week was a simple French dressing, mostly made from olive oil and red wine vinegar. It was fine.

So, we'll call that a win on the dressed green salad, not least because I'm toying with pairing it with chicken burgers again tomorrow. Which would be 1-0 on the salads, with nine to go. Next week is an "Evolution Green Salad", which seems to mean it is built up in four steps, one of which includes bacon.

Also, I'm planning on tackling his granola mix on Saturday, thus returning to the breakfasts chapter.

#16: "Pathfinder: Howl of the Carrion King", by Erik Mona

1 comment:

Kezzie said...

Mmmmmmm chips...