Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Another victory over The Man

My energy supplier, who shall remain nameless, sent me a letter the other day informing me that there was a shortfall in my monthly payment, and that therefore my direct debit would have to be increased. This made sense. What made less sense was the amount - over the past three months (split evenly between 'winter' and 'summer' usage) I had used X amount of energy, and therefore my monthly debit should be X/2. Obviously.

So I called them. I was all ready to argue my case, with hard figures, discussions of how the computer was wrong, how the correct answer was X/3, and how clearly this was an oversight that they'd be delighted to correct.

The automated switchboard proved intractable. For reasons unknown, they have decided it should ask me to give my street name, and the voice recognition software just isn't able to decipher my broad and inpenetrable accent (despite the switchboard actress also having a Scottish accent). I guess it must be that I live on such a bizarre and obscurely named street.

Eventually, I was put through to a real person. I stated that I'd received the letter, and that the amount was too high, and was all ready to start arguing my case, when she asked me to hold while she checked the computer.

And, lo and behold, the computer decided that the revised estimate based on my actual meter readings (which were extremely close to their own estimates) should have me paying X/3 per month!

So, that's X/6 per month saved, at least until the computer decides to change its mind. Score one (more) for the good guys.

(I decided not to finish this post off with a cynical interpretation of events. It's too depressing.)

No comments: