Sunday, June 07, 2009

Why I voted SNP

As I implied in a previous post, I had been concerned that I might find myself unable to vote on Thursday due to a freak bureaucratic cock-up. See, despite my informing the powers-that-be as soon as I moved home, it wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I got a letter noting that I appeared to have moved, and should give my new details to be added to the Electoral Roll. I filled in the enclosed form, and posted it back within 10 minutes of reading it (literally, 10 minutes).

Late last week, I got two more letters, the first being another letter noting that I appeared to have moved, and should give my new details to be added to the Electoral Roll. The second (from the same office, with the same post-mark) noted that they had received my new details, but that I was unfortunately too late to register for the upcoming elections. It seems that the drop-dead date for registering was the day before they sent out the previous form. Yay!

The letter also stated that if I was still registered there, I should be able to vote at my old polling place on Thursday. Naturally, I assumed this wouldn't be possible: inevitably, they would surely have been very efficient in removing me from one list, and monstrously inefficient at adding me to the other. I had visions of being the only person in the whole of Falkirk to actually turn up intent on voting, only to be turned away because the computer says no.

Turned out I was still registered at the old polling place. So, a grand total of one vote was cast in Falkirk. Never let it be said that democracy isn't alive and well.

Anyway, it took me about ten seconds to vote, and as I noted above, I voted for the SNP. This proved to be something of a surprise to me, given that I fundamentally disagree with their key policy. Some might consider this to be something of an issue, but not me.

The thing is, independence really isn't on the agenda in the European elections, which rathers opens up that choice. And that neatly allows me to evaluate their other policies, leaving a pro-Europe centre-left party. Plus, they seem to be doing an almost bearable job running Scotland at the moment, so...

Anyway, that's why I voted SNP. At the General Election, I will almost certainly also vote SNP, mostly for the same reasons. But, come the Scottish Elections, I absolutely will not be voting for them: by that point I fully expect independence to be firmly on the agenda, which knocks them out again. I wonder who I will vote for then?

No comments: