Friday, September 25, 2009

Some Random Thoughts

Now in list form:

  • I think that, once I finish Jamie's current book, I shall endeavour to continue with my "Experimental Cookery Tuesday" project. However, rather than religiously working through one book after another, I think I will instead seek out something I've never cooked before and try that. Also, it may not be a Tuesday each week.
  • I need to restock my freezer with pre-cooked foods; over the past several weeks I have reduced my stores down to almost nothing. Basically, there are some eight batches of food I need to put together for later use: four different curries, lasagne, chilli, burgers and bolognese sauce.
  • After four months with almost nothing worth watching on TV, Sky now about to start showing no fewer than five shows I want to keep up with in the next few weeks. I am less than delighted about this - could they not have spread them out a bit better?
  • The fifth and final season of "Stargate: Atlantis" is okay, but less good than the previous seasons. Sadly, it really hasn't been worth the wait for Sky to repeat it. Hopefully, "Stargate: Universe" will be better.
  • I'm currently finding that every minute of my day is scheduled before I even get out of bed in the morning. I call this "The Tyranny of the To-Do List". It's not fun, especially since I'm currently 'taking it easy' while band is taking a break, getting some rest before both the tough new band year starts, and the beginning of my Spanish course.
  • Buying a dining table and chairs is deceptively difficult.
  • Why is it that as soon as I decided to bring my SWSE campaign to a halt because I don't have enough material prepared, I immediately thought up half a dozen great ideas for what should happen next? Also, why is it that as soon as I started preparing my next campaign, I immediately thought of half a dozen other campaigns that I would like to run (but probably won't ever have the time)?
  • I wish I hadn't read "Nineteen Eighty-Four". It has made me even more cynical and depressed than I already was.
  • I've been brainstorming goals for next year, and have come up blank. This either means that I've achieved everything I want, I believe everything I haven't achieved is now forever out of reach, or I just haven't had any good ideas yet.
  • The ideal number of items on a list is nine.


#47: "You Only Live Twice", by Ian Fleming (only 5 more to go!)

3 comments:

M said...

You cynical? Never!

Captain Ric said...

Interesting ... we found that buying a dining table and chairs was incredibly difficult too! Ikea was pretty good, but also evil.

Nineteen Eighty-Four made me incredibly happy. I can see that that isn't the world that we live in. I have had many conversations with our resident commie at work about it.

Word verification: dismis
Make of that what you will.

Steph/ven said...

See, when I read it, I found myself constantly thinking, "no, no, no, you don't do it like that! What you do instead is this... just like they have done. Oh dear..."

For example, rather than setting up an "Inner Party" ruling class that never changes, I think it's probably better to provide the illusion of regular change. You do this by having two parties, but allow them to gradually drift closer together, so that eventually they feel quite comfortable stealing policies whole-cloth from one another's manifestos. Ideally, you then arrange matters so that, at any given election, one of the parties is effectively totally unelectable (due to tiredness, in-fighting, poor leadership, or the combination of all three).

Does any of that sound at all familiar?

(Plus, it occurs to me that, even if we do see a dramatic swing at the election, we'll actually see very few of the 'big guns' losing their seats. Brown, Darling, Harman et al will all remain MPs, they'll just end up sitting on the other side of the house for a while.)