Thursday, February 02, 2012

Angry

I really should learn - absolutely any time a telesales person phones, no matter who it is or what the offer, I should just hang up. No mess, no listening out of politeness. The moment they mention a product, service, or whatever.... beeeeeep!

Tonight's offender are Virgin Media, from whom I've been getting my broadband for some years (and quite happily, too, I should add). On the 19th, I received a call from one of their agents - would I like to pay less for vastly upgraded bandwidth?

Well, yes, I thought, I would quite like that. But, on the other hand, the one thing I most certainly didn't want was any disruption to my service, so...

Anyway, he insisted on putting in an appointment for the installation, just to secure it. (Yeah, right.) And then we got to discussing things.

Then things went crazy, and I had to ask him to phone back. He agreed... and then didn't.

On Monday, I received a call from the engineer, wanting to come do an installation. At this point in time, I was feeling awful - I was actually at home, having taken the day off work, but I didn't want to bother. Besides, I'd not yet received the contract; no, he couldn't come.

They then rebooked me for the 8th, despite me telling them not to do so - I hadn't received the contract, so couldn't agree to an installation. Besides, by then I had decided to cancel, since I wasn't up for the hassle.

The contract arrived today, dated from the 19th (!). The prices on the contract were different from those quoted on the phone (!!). And the contract noted a 7-day cooling off period... from the date when the "order was placed" (that is, the 26th !!!).

Needless to say, I'm not happy about that. I've since phoned and cancelled. Slightly surprisingly, they didn't put up any fight. So, that's okay.

Of course, the next thing is that they'll switch off my existing broadband service. I can practically sense the instruction making its way over to BT OpenReach... (Which would be typical. The one thing that I absolutely did not want, and can't really handle at this stage...) Of course, I might be wrong.

The moral of the story: beeeep!

No comments: