Monday, February 13, 2012

Experimental Cookery 2012: Quick Brown Sugar and Spring Onion Chicken Teriyaki

Yes, I've changed the format of these posts, abandoning all of the so-called 'improvements' I made last year. It turned out that they were nothing of the sort - they just made the posts annoying and awkward to write.

This recipe was taken from Lorraine Pascale's "Home Cooking Made Easy". In the blurb at the start of the page, she advises getting all the ingredients ready before starting to cook; this is definitely a wise move, because although there isn't a lot involved in the process, once it's begun it's a sprint to the end, and you won't have time to dice, chop, grate, or otherwise ready the ingredients for the next step.

Truth be told, this meal is almost ridiculously easy to prepare. Once the ingredients are all to hand, it's just a case of adding them all to the pan at the appropriate times, giving them the occasional stir, and waiting.

And the results were very impressive. Both Lady Chocolat and I managed to avoid food poisoning, it tasted very nice, and was quite different from other chicken dishes I've had in the past. That said, with so much sugar being called for in the recipe, I can't imagine it was very good for us!

The one refinement I would make to this, if I were to do it again, would simply be to reduce the heat at which I cooked the chicken. But that's my issue, rather than one with the book - the cooking times given in the book seemed awfully short, and combined with a very high heat they left the chicken a bit tougher than it should have been.

Still, all in all I can highly recommend this one.

No comments: