Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Shaken to the Core

I've been reading "Gone With the Wind", which turns out to be much more enjoyable than I'd expected. However, for the past few chapters I've been suffering a disturbing feeling of familiarity - there was something about Rhett Butler that I was sure I'd seen before, but just couldn't quite put my finger on.

Last night I came to Chapter 19, and the following exchange:

Rhett: “Scarlett, you do like me, don’t you?”
Scarlett: “Well, sometimes. When you aren’t acting like a varmint.”
Rhett: “I think you like me because I am a varmint. You’ve known so few dyed-inthe-wool varmints in your sheltered life that my very difference holds a quaint charm for you.”
Scarlett: “That’s not true! I like nice men.”

And now I'm expecting him to go and shoot poor Greedo under the table.

(Though this does neatly explain why the dialogue in the original trilogy is better than in the prequels - after all, if the good dialogue in the originals is nicked...)

This Week's Mug: On a less traumatic note, this week's mug comes from La Tranche Sur Mer, a small town in France where my parents spend several weeks on holiday each year. I forget exactly how I came by this mug, though my suspicion is that I probably bought it the year LC and I went with them for a week. It's a plain white mug with a design split into three parts, each showing a scene associated with the town.

No comments: