Monday, February 22, 2016

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

LC and I went to see this on Saturday. We were a little surprised to find that it was already reduced to only one showing a night, and in pretty much the smallest screen the cinema had available. Still, I guess with both "Deadpool" and "Zoolander 2" starting, they probably needed the screens.

Anyway, it's a pretty enjoyable film, though not necessarily what I'd describe as a "good" film - it's a light-hearted romp that does what it sets out to do but doesn't exactly stretch itself. Which, if I'm being honest, probably sums up Jane Austen's oeuvre, so I guess that fits.

The two leads, Lily James and Sam Riley, were both fine in the roles of Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam, though they were upstaged rather by Tywin and Cersei... I mean Charles Dance and Lena Headey (as Mr Bennet and Lady Catherine respectively). And the highlight was Matt Smith as Mr Collins (Parson Collins) who was amusing throughout. (That said, I was struck once again by just how much of Lily James' acting technique boils down to breathing in and out. I'm not sure that's a recommendation.)

And that's pretty much all there is to say about that, really. Except to note that I really should read the book. Oh, and indeed that I find the notion of a Regency + Zombies RPG quite intriguing...

No comments: