Thursday, January 12, 2006

Way to ruin my entire evening, morons!

One night, about a week before Christmas, I actually had a really good day at work (shock!). The drive home from work was also surprisingly pleasant (gasp!). I arrived home in a good mood, only to have that mood stolen from me by a letter that was waiting for me.

The TV Licensing agency had written to me. My address was, according to their records, unlicensed, despite two previous reminders (which I never received), and their inspectors were coming around to assess me a £1,000 fine.

Naturally, I was horrified. The very first day I arrived, I made sure I purchased a TV license. I did this before I plugged the TV in, despite the lack of anything to do in the apartment in the meantime. Hell, I did it before my brother headed home on that first day, which should give some indication of just how high a priority I made it (more on this later).

Anyway, I phoned the number given on the letter, which alleged to give details of how to get a license. I spoke to a surprisingly helpful assistant, and found that there were two licenses assigned to "Flat A", but none for the "Ground Floor Flat". Never mind that the "Ground Floor Flat" is "Flat A". Anyway, I had them transfer my license over, threw away the reminder letter, and tried to get on with my evening.

Sadly, my entire evening was ruined by this experience. See, the tone of the letter I received was not "we've noticed a problem, let's work to resolve it". Instead it was "YOU'RE A FILTHY CRIMINAL, AND WE'RE GOING TO GET YOU!" The fact that I knew that this wasn't true didn't really help - my mood was soured by the whole experience.

The thing is, I actually agree with the TV license on principle. I like having an independent BBC, and am willing to pay for the priviledge. (Although, it's somewhat galling to think that the only thing I'm likely to actually watch on the BBC this year is the new series of Dr Who, and possibly some of Wimbledon. But that's another rant.)

Anyway, if the story ended there, I wouldn't be posting this now. But, no.

Yesterday, I actually had a really good day at work (not that big of a shock any more), and I had a good drive home (also not a shock, since I worked later than usual). Upon arriving home, I received another letter from the TV Licensing agency. Apparently, my address is unlicensed, and their inspectors are going to be on my street in the near future. If caught, I will face a £1,000 fine.

Muppets.

I threw this letter away without further action. If they call in, I will wave my license at them. If they don't, and send me the fine, I'll phone them and try to persuade them it's not my fault they can't keep their records up to date. If they persist, I'll meet them in court. I rather suspect, cynical as I am, that if I show up in court with a valid license in my hand, they might not have a strong case.