Friday, September 01, 2006

How does that even happen?

You know how I said I wasn't allowed broadband?

Well, it seems that it really is a universal law. The engineer was booked for this afternoon. Consequently, I got up early every morning this week, so I could get the afternoon off. I got home, and waited.

At 6:30, I contacted BT, and found that the engineer had been held up at an earlier job, and wasn't coming. He's now re-booked for next week.

Even more annoying, I don't even know for certain that this guy's going to fix the problem. It's entirely possible that he'll come out, and declare that he can't help me. Or that he's not cleared for loft work. Or he'll change the wire, and it won't help.

So, out of interest, and with a view to fixing the damn thing myself, I looked it up on the internet. And found a very helpful site explaining exactly how it should be done... if you're not me. At the top of the site is says, "If your phone is connected like this (picture of my connections), you can't wire up a socket yourself. You need to contact the powers-that-be, and have a Master Socket fitted."

So, I guess I'm at work early all next week, then.

Also, in unrelated news, I had an appointment for a gas inspector to come and look at my meter. There's nothing wrong with it, but apparently it's very important that the meter be looked at. He was definately coming between 5 and 8. It's now 8:16, and there's no sign. Somehow, I'm not surprised.

No comments: