Thursday, September 28, 2006

Tale of Two Fridges

In honour of having broadband at home, I felt I really should post something from home. And what better thing than a list?

However, what manner of list could I make from home? What fascinating insights could I glean from that which is all around me? And then it hit me... the contents of the fridge (always empty the fridge before attempting to balance it on a corner). And, in fact, since I have two fridges, and since each has both a fridge section and a freezer section, I get to do a multi-part list! Will the delights of broadband never cease?

Anyway, without further ado, here's the list:

Everyday Fridge, Fridge section:

1 sachet Old El Paso Salsa
1 'big tub' Dairylea
1/2 loaf of Bread
1 plastic box, containing 4 sandwiches (Coronation Chicken) and 6 Cherry Tomatoes
1.5 litres of Falkirk's finest tap-water
3 Red Gala Apples
2 Onions
Approx 1 pint Milk
Just under 1 litre Tropicana Smooth
Mayonaisse
1/2 tub Coronation Chicken sandwich filling
Small jar Nescafe
1 block Scottish Cheddar cheese
Barbeque Sauce
Tomato Ketchup
Sweet Onion Relish (squeezy bottle)
Hot Chillis and Jalopeno Relish (squeezy bottle)
'Small Chunk' Branston Pickle (squeezy bottle)

Everyday Fridge, Freezer Section:
Nothing

Sunday Best Fridge, Fridge Section:

2 bottles Milles Genuine Draft (note to self: Get more beer in advance of the Scotland/France game next Saturday. Note 2: Get better beer)
13 cans Pepsi
18 cans Irn Bru

Sunday Best Fridge, Freezer Section:

1 loaf Bread
10 burger Buns
8 Hot Dog Rolls
4 individual Chicken & Vegetable pies
8 Chicken Burgers
8 Quarter Pounder Beef Burgers
2 plastic tubs, each containing a serving of Beef Bourgignon (it's very nice, but alas doesn't thaw well :( )
1 Plastic tub fulled with Chicken Stir Fry (likewise, it's very nice, but it doesn't thaw well :( I really need a roommate/girlfriend/other person to cook for)
8 Pork Sausages
4 Lamb Chops (not sure how I'm going to get rid of these - I got them to go in a lamb hotpot, then forgot to defrost them in time, so had to buy replacement lamb to cook instead)
1 bag Home Fries
1 portion of some other brand of Oven Chips. These will be inflicted on Leigh next time she eats here, as punishment for bringing them in the first place!
1/2 pound Mince
1/2 bag Peas (yummy!)
1 bag Mixed Vegetables
2/3 bag Chargrilled Mediterranean Vegetables (to go in stir fry. They are, indeed, yummy)
3/4 bag Onion Rings (breaded, not battered. They're like having silver instead of gold... very nice, but not ideal)
2 litres Chocolate Ice Cream

And there it is, the complete list of things in my fridges. You'll note the absence of 'ready meals' (boak!), and also the absence of pizza (since I ate it on Monday!).

Now, a challenge for you: what foods should I add to my fridge to make it complete? And what mysterious delights lurk in your fridge to ward off your brother's fiancee, should she pop round for a meal? (Oh, and also, how does one go about storing a lasagne for several days, given that it will need to be frozen between cooking and consumption, can be defrosted exactly once, and cannot be cut while frozen? Bear in mind that I have no plastic tubs big enough for a serving of lasagne. I have the technical ability to make a wonderful lasagne, but no way to actually store the thing prior to eating it.)

4 comments:

Amy said...

Coffee in the fridge? Does that do good things to it?

Steph/ven said...

Allegedly, it keeps it fresher. I suspect it may not apply to cheap instant coffee, though.

Captain Ric said...

I'm fairly sure it doesn't apply to instant. Also, buy a lasagne dish? That way you'll be able to cook it, and store it for several days (in the fridge).

Julietbec said...

yeah, lasagne keeps a few days in the fridge

chris made one last week, we ate half between us, then i had it for dinner monday and tuesday. kept in the fridge

my flatmate cooked sunday roast yesterday. yummy!