Thursday, February 08, 2007

From nobody to over-exposed in one easy show

I don;t know about anyone else, but I am getting really sick and tired of hearing about Shilpa. While she was in that house, she was obviously being victimised, and there genuinely was a story there, albeit a very unpleasant one. And, in fact, it was a story that needed to be told - the racism in much of our society is hidden far too often.

But ever since she's left the house, she has done... nothing of note. And yet, we've had an endless stream of tabloid news stories, endless pictures and articles in magazines, and an endless stream of adverts for the same, all desperately telling us the story of "What Shilpa Did Next". And none of which have any merit.

In short, she's become over-exposed, and she's done that very very quickly. (And the irony is that it's so completely unnecessary. She's allegedly a skilled actress, so she could very easily do something worthwhile. My advice? Go make a movie, or a TV show of some depth, or something, before it's too late, and you become just another vapid celebrity, famous for being famous.)

For me, the point where it all got ridiculous was when she was invited to the House of Commons, and met with the Prime Minister. Presumably, for her insight into racism and how to tackle it. Which leads me to the question: when am I going to get my invitation? After all, I not only have a perspective on racism, and advice on how to eradicate it from our culture (in short, you can't; don't even try), but I'm also a British tax-payer and a voter. So, where's my opportunity to speak with the powers that be in this country?

Of course, it would be utterly inappropriate for me to suggest that all this attention is being paid to her simply because she's a good looking young woman. I'm sure if it was an average-looking, middle aged man the coverage would be exactly the same.

Just as I'm sure our MPs were in no way influenced by the media circus surrounding Shilpa when they invited her to the Commons. I bet every child of Indian extraction who suffers racial bullying in school will one day receive a similar invitation...

Yeah, right.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Stephen you are an appalling racist.

To suggest Shilpa doesn't pay UK taxes is highly insulting, and clearly as racist as half the things Shilpa was subjected to in the BB house, albeit less bullying.

I am excited about your foray into solipsism, let me know how it pans out. You play the bagpipes very well for someone only playing for himself.

Steph/ven said...

Ah, yes, of course. I had neglected to consider that she is paying tax on all her activities in the UK. My mistake.

I shall now hang my head in shame.

Chris said...

Although in fairness, she is probably rich enough to pay one of those no marks to help her avoid paying taxes...

Who knows? Not me!

Racist!