Sunday, June 10, 2007

Long Comments

It has been brought to my attention that many of my posts, and in particular many of my comments on other posts, are extremely verbose. Too long, I wonder?

The thing is, though, I generally try my best to consider an issue from many sides, and prefer to not just offer and opinion (especially a controversial opinion) without supporting points, evidence, and the like. Obviously, making multiple points and providing supporting evidence takes time. And, of course, there is also the word-count associated with couching things in terms that don't cause undue offense - it would be really easy to say "U R teh suxxorz! LOL!", but that doesn't necessarily have the tone or eloquence I try to go for.

But the question is this: how long is too long? How long can a post be before you stop reading? What about a comment? Should I restrict myself to the argument of soundbites (20 words or less) in future?

3 comments:

Chris said...

Sorry!

This was me wasn't it?!

I was just trying to be funny; yes you do leave long comments but they do indeed have worthwhile content which should make me appreciate them more of course.

In answer to your actual question, hmmm, nothing is too long if I already know the person/blogger and know I am going to get something out of it. But if I am coming to a blog/whatever afresh then I can be put off by length, yes.

In answer to your other question, no you shouldn't change particularly. Unless everyone else says so obviously, I am a big fan of democracy.

U R teh suxx0rz!!!!!111

(Sadly, one year ago I would probably have no clue about what that even meant... I am not sure I am happy with my newfound knowledge!)

Steph/ven said...

Sort of. I did take note of it after your comment, but it was actually at the weekend when I made comment on another blog, looked back at what I'd written, and realised it was a tad lengthy.

Captain Ric said...

So ... very ... tempting ...