Sunday, June 17, 2007

Two Memes Before I Go, part two

Kezzie tagged me for this. It's a bit of a girly meme, but here goes anyway:

Top Six Things I Am Watching on TV:

1) Doctor Who. Quite simply the best programme on TV at the moment.

2) Two and a Half Men/Rules of Engagement. These are Paramount Comedy's "Make Mine a Double" from Monday night, and are genuinely funny comedies.

3) Heroes. What happens when a bunch of normal people suddenly gain superpowers? Well, if they're Hiro Nakamura, they become an icon for geeks everywhere.

4) The Unit. Drama about a special unit in the American Army. Interesting, if not the best thing ever.

5) South Park. This would be higher if it wasn't constantly repeats. I think I've seen every episode by now. Still, Eric Cartman remains iconic.

6) Smackdown. Yes, it's professional wrestling. Yes, it's faker than Jordan. But it's absurdly entertaining. Besides, with Lost and 24 finished, there now are only five programmes I make a point of watching every week, so this makes the cut.

Top Six Things to Read

1) Good Omens, by Pratchett and Gaiman. Truly awesome book by two of our top top authors.

2) Lord of the Rings, by Tolkein. Because it had to be on the list.

3) Tale of Two Cities, by Dickens. It's like a slow burning fuse, rolling on in a very well-written manner, then BAM! the ending hits you. Even knowing what was coming, I still felt the intensity of it. Truly, a great book.

4) The Demolished Man, by Bester. I was put onto this by Babylon 5, and it is truly superb. It's about a perfect murder in a world where the police can read your thoughts.

5) The Harry Potter series, by Rowling. Surprisingly well-written, but they have also managed the impressive trick of aging in style at the same rate as the intended readers. Of course, this may prove problematic to parents just starting to read Philosopher's Stone to young children...

6) Anything else by Pratchett or Gaiman. They're just that good.

And too many others to list. "Song of Ice and Fire", "Dragonlance Chronicles", "The Thrawn Trilogy", "Dracula", "Narnia"...

Top 6 male movie/TV stars I admire/would most like to look like:

Told you it was a bit girly! Fortunately, male actors are generally judged on talent rather than looks, which means that most of the top actors are also really good at their craft. So, without further ado, let's list six of the best:

1) Christian Bale. He's not hugely well-known, but he's a great actor. See "American Psycho", "Batman Begins" and "The Machinist" for some of his best work.

2) Samuel L. Jackson. He just makes every film he's in cooler.

3) Tom Cruise. Seriously, this guy can act. See "Collateral" if you don't believe me.

4) 'Gorgeous' George Clooney. Again, another actor best known for his looks, but who is absurdly good at what he does. Except in "Batman & Robin" of course.

5) Brad Pitt. This guy makes me sick. To look that good and have that much talent should be illegal.

6) Bruce Willis. This guy has almost single-handedly made it acceptable for men to go bald. Given the state of my hairline (yes, I had noticed), I'm rather grateful.

Top TV/Movie hotties, smoking or otherwise:

Truthfully, I don't really go for most of the women on TV. Unfortunately, the "Hollywood Ideal" and "Size Zero" just leave me cold. I may be crazy, but I don't consider ribs sexy. So, with that in mind:

1) Evangeline Lilly. Although that may be Kate I'm attracted to. Even then, I've gradually gone off her with the most recent series of Lost, as her character seems to have misplaced her brain.

2) Cameron Diaz in "The Mask", and absolutely nothing since.

3) Mila Jovovich. Surprisingly good actress. See "The Messenger" (aka "Joan of Arc") for the best example of her work. She's an exception to the 'no ribs' rule due to talent.

4) Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman. "Batman Returns" was released at just the right time to have a major impact on me.

5) Charisma Carpenter. Although again, it might be Cordelia that I liked.

6) I used to have a thing for Kirsten Dunst, although I went off her just after the first Spiderman was released. I'll give "Elizabethtown" a pass, though, as it was to that film that I first kissed the last girl I kissed. That was far too long ago, but not as long as the previous drought had been.

Top 6 films to watch when bored.

Who has time to be bored any more?

1) Dumb & Dumber. Requires no thought, and always gets a laugh.

2) Die Hard. Probably the single finest action film of all time.

3) Face/Off. The only real competition.

4) Aladdin. Without exception, Disney's best film, and that includes "The Fox and the Hound".

5) The Road to El Dorado. Criminally under-rated film from Dreamworks. Who uses the word 'loquacious' in a children's film?

6) Life of Brian. I mean, what have the Romans ever done for us?

You may be surprised at the omission of the Lord of the Rings and Star Wars movies. Truth is, I don't watch these films very often, but when I do I set aside time specifically for that purpose. They're just not 'bored movies'.

6 things I would do if I had the time

1) Write a novel. Being published, in any form except self-publishing, is perhaps my last unrealised ambition.

2) Mow the lawn. It has needed done since September, but I've been busy.

3) Find a house of my own.

And that's about it, I think. Generally, if I feel something is important, I'll make time.

Top 6 chocolaty treats to cheer oneself up with.

Not really a big chocolate eater. Generally, I write to cheer myself up. Since I also write my best material when I'm miserable, that works quite well.

I am rather partial to Aero though, really like Twiz, and love Mars bars (although it is necessary to eat those upside down or the chewing becomes too much before the end).

1 comment:

Kezzie said...

Oooh very good! I like your choices!
Hmmmm, might go and read Tale of Two cities now, haven't read any Dickens! Well, of course when I am on holiday (3 weeks and 1 day left!).