Thursday, October 25, 2007

Much Ado About Nothing

So, JK has let the world know that the headmaster at Hogworts, one Albus Dumbledore, is gay. This announcement was then reported far and wide, as if it was actually news. In reality, of course, it is utterly irrelevant, not least because it isn't actually mentioned anywhere in the books, and most people wouldn't have had the slightest of inclings.

And yet, I'm posting about it. Why is this, you may ask? Well, I can't help but think of what might have been...

As we know, Dumbledore is quite a large man. Not as large as Hagrid, of course, but large nonetheless. We also know he is gay. Finally, his first name, Albus, could be shortened...

So, what would the Harry Potter books have been like had he truly been Big Gay Al?

3 comments:

Kezzie said...

I wish she wouldn't. I don't want to know about the sexual habits of characters in kids books. It just ruins it. Rather like the reason I haven't watched Torchwood. I'm sure I might enjoy it, but I like Doctor Who for its innocence and lack of gratuitous content! But then that's just me...

Captain Ric said...

Why in the world would she make such an announcement? To make all the gay kids suddenly feel accepted by society and 'normal'? Ridiculous. Snzn frzn.

Steph/ven said...

The director of "Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince" had decided it was a good idea to insert a throwaway line about some old flame of Al's. JK therefore felt it was necessary to block that idea.