Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The tension is quite unbearable...

As I sat contemplating my apple (more on this later), the rain started battering down on the metal roof of the office. Relaxing as this is, I do find myself cursing the unfairness of the weather. See, kids in Scotland have gone back to school this week, which should be an absolute indicator that we're due for a couple of weeks of really nice sunshine. Instead, we get lashings of cool, copious rain.

So, apples, and the contemplation thereof. Each day, I have a piece of fruit at 10:30 as one of my five a day. Sometimes it is a banana, sometimes an orange. This week, it's apples, currently enjoying a revival of the gala variety.

Except that today 10:30 came and went, and I was not hungry. And so, the apple remained. 11:30 arrived, and the debate began: shall I eat the apple now, or shall I wait until mid-afternoon? Certainly, at this point I am quite hungry, but would eating now impact on lunch? And I might also be quite hungry in mid-afternoon, so perhaps better to wait.

The life of a software engineer is a never-ending stream of extremely complex decisions. Shall I wear this clean white shirt, or shall I wear that clean white shirt? Shall I wear the blue tie with coloured spots, or perhaps the black tie with entirely different coloured spots? Or perhaps a tie with frogs on? Should I continue this list of trivial decisions, or have I made my point? Shall I eat the apple now, or save it for later.

So, I ate the apple. It was nice. I then wrote a lengthy blog post about eating the apple, and all the complexities inherent in this action. Exciting, isn't it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your life is non stop excitement! I don't know how you do it!

Steph/ven said...

It's my relentless dedication to excellence.

Like, just the other day, I had to choose what to wear for our new minister's induction, and I chose... a black suit, a white shirt, a tie, and shiny black shoes!

But it was a close-run thing. I almost wore my "Vote Quimby" t-shirt instead. What a disaster that would have been! Instead of being complemented on my power-dressing, I might instead have been forced to explain the reference. The horrors!

Captain Ric said...

Ah yes ... the rain. It took me an hour and a half to get home yesterday. AN HOUR AND A HALF. Instead of the usual 30 minutes.

We actually drove through several rivers in an attempt to escape East Kilbride. In a very low BMW.

(For non-Scots: East Kilbride is on a big hill. So when it rains, you can't get out.)