Saturday, September 06, 2008

How are Americans supposed to vote?

(Since I'm about to rant about biases in American politics, I suppose I should show my hand early: given the choice, I would vote Democrat in the upcoming election. However, it is worth noting, I think, that I find even the most left-leaning of mainstream US politicians far too right-wing for my tastes. Anyway...)

With no internet access in Lisbon (despite the claims of the hotel), and only BBC World and CNN available as English language TV, I found myself watching the Nadal/Murray tennis match on Eurosport. After all, that doesn't require knowing the language.

I also spent a fair amount of time in the evenings watching the coverage of the Republican Convention on CNN, which was quite interesting. I was horrified, however, by the blatant bias of the channel, in their presenters, their choice of pundits and commentators, and the relative time they allowed to each.

This leads to the following sequence: the candidates make some claims about their record, their aspirations, or those of their opponents. Naturally, them being politicians, you can't believe a word that they say. The media then 'fact-check' these. However, since they have such obvious biases (with some channels leaning one way, and others the other), you can't believe a word that they say. Then the opposite side hits back, and so on and so forth.

So, since you can't believe anyone, and since they don't have to "show their working" by citing references and sources, you're left with not a single source you can actually rely on. And, since it's too much work to actually dig deep enough to get to the truth about these things (seriously, it is), this means you have no valid basis on which to base a vote.

No wonder it all comes down to a question of which candidate is taller, and which has the better hair.

Thank goodness the UK at least have the BBC, who are (mostly) independent and (mostly) reputable. Doesn't help Americans, but it does mean that our own elections are a little less degraded.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be fair, the Democratic National Party convention was the other week and that was all the news stations covered. I have not normally found CNN to be too biased but I didn't watch any coverage of the Republican convention (it makes me throw up in my mouth just to think about it!). Anyway, there is so much mud slinging and childish playground taunting that it all gets a bit ridiculous. The fact that the Republican candidate has picked a woman he hardly knows just shows you that they felt desperate and picked any woman just to get more votes. All the Republicans love her because she is a gun toting, hunting, fishing, anti abortion, anti sex education (yep, that helped your daughter get knocked up easier) right winger who drives me insane!!! I can't talk anymore, my head will explode. I am so pissed off I can't vote, even though I have been here 11 years I am only a resident still, not a citizen. Pooey!

Steph/ven said...

I actually have more to say on Sarah Palin, but I'm holding off until I get my thoughts into some sort of an order.

Oh, and I'm inclined to think that we should get votes here in the UK - the US choice of president probably has as much bearing on how things go over here as does our choice of Prime Minister! (It's fair to say I'm not entirely serious about this one.)

Captain Ric said...

Oh say can you see,
by the dawn's early light ...