Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Experimental Cookery Tuesday #27: Chicken Tikka Masala

Ages ago, I mentioned that the chicken fajitas was an opportunity for Jamie to convert me from a boxed kit to fresh-cooked food. On that occasion, he failed to convert me; the fajitas were just too much hassle to prepare (although they were great). We come now to another great favourite, and another opportunity for conversion.

As I've just discussed, the home-cooked option turns out to be considerably cheaper than the jar option, which was somewhat surprising. The tikka masala is also the quickest of Jamie's curries to cook - the simmer step is 'only' twenty minutes. (Besides, I think the best plan is to cook up a batch on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday when I have time, and fill my freezer with curries to eat later.) And the instructions were simple enough to follow, with very little real risk of going wrong. So, it was all down to taste.

And so, I'm pleased to report, I have been converted. The chicken tikka was a triumph, tasting much the same as the jar version, but perhaps slightly smoother. Basically, it's another winner.

So, that will be 4-1 in "Easy Curries". I still haven't managed to find time for any of his rice variants, nor for the vegetable bhajis, which is unfortunate. Next up is "Vindaloo", which could be interesting.

No comments: