Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Experimental Cookery Tuesday #36: Evolution Tomato Salad

Of all the many places I have visited, I think my favourite was Rome. There are several reasons for this, including the grandeur and the weight of history about the place, the fact that it was gloriously sunny, and the fact that I went just as my life was starting to come back together following a long and difficult spell of unemployment.

Of course, there was also the food. Be it pizza, pasta, or something else, I'm a big fan of Italian food. And one of the key ingredients, and therefore one of my favourite fruits, is the tomato. So, I was rather looking forward to the tomato salad.

Sadly, I needn't have bothered, because this one was frankly a disappointment. Unlike the Evolution Green Salad, where the lettuce was complemented and improved on by the other components, here the tomato was left to try to make up for the shortcomings of the tuna and the beans. The dressing was rather anemic, and didn't really help things.

And also, the tomatoes themselves were a let down. I don't seem to be doing at all well with fruit and vegetables from Morrisons, and so it was here, with the tomatoes not being very nice, either not being quite ripened, or being past their best. (I suppose tomatoes aren't quite in season yet, which can't help either.)

Shame.

Next week is an "Evolution Cucumber Salad", which actually looks quite promising. I am intrigued by Jamie's plans for the humble cucumber. The week after that is an "Evolution Carrot Salad", which also looks interesting. However, for now I have to mark this a loss, which brings the salad chapter level at 2-2.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go boldly to see the new "Star Trek" film. Although, it seems oddly inappropriate to do that on the tenth anniversary of "Phantom Menace" being released (in the US - it didn't reach the UK until July).

No comments: