Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Quick Thought on the Royal Wedding

I almost certainly won't be watching the royal wedding. With the band having a concert that night, I suspect I'll be too busy. Besides, even if I were free, it's very likely that I could find better things to do with the time.

That said, I have absolutely no objection to the coverage that is being given to this event, the amount of attention paid to it, or even to the cost. As I see it, if we're going to have a monarchy, then it is entirely appropriate to allow it to take centre stage when some significant event occurs - and the wedding of our future king certainly counts as a "significant event".

I say that despite feeling, as a matter of principle, that we probably should not have a monarchy, and that a democratic approach would be better. But I object to half-assed mediocrity a whole lot more than outdated notions of Divine Right.

No comments: