Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Experimental Cookery 2015 #23: Transylvanian Meatballs with Garlic Sauce, and #24: Fattoush

A double-header this week, as I did two recipes from the third Hairy Dieters book, "Good Eating" (the green one). This is the least successful of the three books, IMO, but it does have a few things worth trying.

The process for both these meals was fairly straightforward, but also quite time-consuming and messy. All in all, the meal took about an hour to make, start to finish. I could probably cut this down a bit if doing it in future - as it is, we have a pack of 10 meatballs in the freezer now for next time.

The results were... okay. LC liked the meal; I was less keen. The Fattoush was rather nice, and quite spicy, but I was a little disappointed in the meatballs, which tasted of mince more than anything else - I'd expected rather more of a garlic hit. Still, there wasn't anything wrong with the meal. I just wouldn't necessarily have it again - and both Jamie's meatballs and the lamb meatballs from the Hairy Biker's curry book are better.

This Week's Mug: The mug anecdote for this week is brought to you by Yorkie. I received this mug as the companion piece to an Easter Egg (I think) some years ago - usually, the egg is accompanied by one or two bars of chocolate, but this time it was a mug (and a smaller egg!) for reasons unknown. As with some of the other recent mugs, I've never actually used this one before.

#27: "Forge of Ashes", by Josh Vogt

No comments: