Thursday, June 09, 2016

Experimental Cookery 2016 #4: Ultimate Pork Tacos with Spicy Beans & Avocado Green Salad

It's hard to believe that we're already in June and yet this is only the third Experimental Cookery of the year. This one comes from "Jamie's Fifteen Minute Meals", and took me about half an hour to prepare - mostly because I got everything else ready before I started cooking the pork or beans, thus allowing me to give that my full attention. If I'd dared to multi-task as he'd described, I could probably have done it in fifteen.

This was an easy meal to put together - it was mostly just a matter of chopping and mixing, with just a tiny amount of actual cooking (and that simply a matter of moving things around in two frying pans).

The end result was... interesting. The only thing I didn't like was that the taco shells I had were, perhaps inevitably, far too narrow and so not able to carry much. But the pork and the beans were both good, though I think I might handle the pork a little differently in future. (In particular, cut it into smaller pieces, and cook for 'longer' so it becomes a bit more crispy. 'Longer' is in quotes because the smaller cut in turns reduces the cook time, so it may turn out the be the same overall.) The salad was particularly interesting - the combination of avocado and apple into a single salad made for a very odd flavour combination, though not an unpleasant one.

We'll certainly be having this again, if only because I had to get enough taco shells and pork belly for three meals. But that's no bad thing - this was a nice meal, albeit one that proved no threat to my "nominated nine"!

No comments: