Friday, July 15, 2016

A Tiny Design Flaw

It's fair to say I'm not fond of airport security. But one of the few improvements that is gradually being rolled out are the electronic passport readers - any opportunity to bypass actual human interaction in such cases is probably for the good. (This also applies to those lovely self-service ordering machines they now have in McDonalds, but that's another topic...)

However, there is one tiny design flaw:

  1. When you arrive at the machine, you're told to follow the instructions on-screen. So far, so good.
  2. One of those instructions is that you need to remove any glasses and headwear. That's fine, except...
  3. Without my glasses, I can't see the instructions on-screen. Or much of anything else, really.

Perhaps there should be a button for switching on audio cues? Or, better yet, maybe there should just be audio cues by default? Just a thought.

#38: "House of Smoke", by Sam Christer (which wasn't at all what I expected. It was okay, but I'm not sure I would recommend it. Basically, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have read it.)

No comments: